Dough: 500 ml lukewarm water, 10 g yeast (live), 10 g sugar, 100 ml olive oil, 225 g durum flour, approx. 625 g wheat flour, 10 g salt
Tomato sauce: 1-2 cloves of garlic,1 small onion, 300 g peeled tomatoes, 60 g tomato purée, 100 ml olive oil, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt and pepper
Classic: Tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil
Veggie: Sliced courgette, sliced aubergine, tomato sauce, mozzarella
Smokey: Cacciatore or other Italian salami, red pepper, cut into strips, onion rings, tomato sauce, smoked brie (smoke the brie in advance)
In the kitchen
- Start with the dough. Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water; add the sugar, then the olive oil and the flour, a little at the time, after sieving the two types of flour together. Knead well and add the salt. Divide into four portions, roll into balls, place on a baking tray and cover with cling film. Put in the refrigerator to rise for min. 2 hours.
- Then prepare the tomato sauce. Peel the garlic and onion. Grate the garlic and dice the onion finely. Put in a blender together with the other ingredients. Blend thoroughly until smooth. Add the herbs to taste.
- Prepare the toppings you prefer on the pizzas.
- Leave the dough, which should have risen, on a floured board at room temperature for approx. 10 minutes.
- Roll out. Sprinkle the baking tray with durum flour; put one of the pizza bases on it, spread with the tomato sauce followed by the mozzarella and toppings.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill. If you have a gas grill or Weber® Q®, you should use direct heat. If you have a charcoal grill, you should use circular heat.
- Place the baking stone in the center of the cooking grate and allow to heat up – approx. 10 minutes.
- Place the baking tray on the stone with one of the pizzas ready to go. If you are using a gas grill, turn off the burner directly below the stone. On a Weber® Q® or charcoal grill continue using direct and circular heat respectively.
- Bake the pizza with the heat on until the base no longer sticks to the tray – approx.10-14 minutes.
Recommended equipment: Weber baking stone with baking tray