Dough: 2 ½ cups of flour, 2 ½ tsp. instant yeast, 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 cup water
Topping: ½ cup zaatar, ½ cup olive oil
In the kitchen
- In a large bowl, mix all the dough ingredients together (liquids last) and knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes).
- Once done, cover the bowl with cling film and place somewhere warm.
- Let the dough rise for approx. 1-1.5 hours, until it has doubled in size.
- When the dough has risen, bring it back out on a well-floured surface and divide into 8 balls.
- Roll the balls into disc shapes and place on baking paper.
- In a different bowl, mix the zaatar and olive oil until well combined.
- Spread the zaatar mix evenly onto the 8 discs.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking, medium heat, with the pizza stone on the grate.
- It is important that the stone gets very hot; otherwise it won’t crisp the base of the bread.
- Once the stone is hot, bake the zaatar manakeeshs directly on the stone for approx. 7-10 minutes, until the base is crispy and the zaatar mix dry.
- Serve with cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes and mixed olives.
Recommended equipment: Weber pizza stone, rectangular