Enough apples to cover the base of the GBS griddle – cut into large slices, no peel, 200 g sugar, 75 g butter, puff pastry
Serve with whipped cream, crème fraiche or vanilla ice cream (optional)
In the kitchen
- Prepare the apples, and other ingredients
- Have the puff pastry ready to go on the grill
On the grill
- Heat up the grill to medium, direct heat, with the GBS griddle already in the grill
- Once hot, add in the sugar and heat up until you have light colored caramel
- Add the butter, and bring to boil. Once boiling, turn off the direct heat, and move to indirect heat.
- Spread out the apple pieces to cover the bottom of the griddle, round side up.
- Now take the puff pastry, and lay it on top to cover all the apples – as a lid.
- Once the pastry is in place continue to cook the tarte tatin on indirect heat at approx. 190C degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- When it’s ready, let is cool for a few minutes, so you can securely and safely flip it out of the griddle.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream while it’s still hot. Enjoy!
Recommended equipment: GBS cast-iron griddle