Approx. 300 g Digestive biscuits, 200 ml pasteurized egg whites, 100 ml sugar, 1 l vanilla ice cream
Rhubarb compote: 1 bunch of ripe rhubarb, 1 vanilla pod, 150 ml cranberry juice, 1 ml sugar
In the kitchen
- Start with the rhubarb compote. Wash the rhubarb, and top and tail. Dice coarsely.
- Split the vanilla pod and place in a pan together with the rhubarb, juice and sugar. Boil well for 20 minutes. Allow the compote to cool completely (it can be made the day before if you prefer).
- Coarsely crush the biscuits and place in the dish to form a base for the ice cream
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar into a very stiff meringue – you must be able to turn the bowl upside down without the meringue falling out. Put the ice cream on the biscuits and spread the compote on top.
- Then cover the ice cream well with lots of meringue. It is important for the ice cream to be completely covered, as the meringue shields it from the heat of the grill.
- Place in the hot grill straight away.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking.
- Place the baking stone on the grate, close the lid and allow it to heat up.
- Place the dish of ice cream on the baking stone and cook with the lid closed until the meringue is a nice, pale golden color. This takes about 10 minutes, but keep an eye on it, as things can change quickly.
- Serve straight away with extra rhubarb compote.
Recommended equipment: Weber baking stone with tray and a ovenproof dish