2 vanilla pods, 6 egg yolks, 125 g sugar, 500 ml whipping cream, 2 unwaxed limes, 200 g chocolate, 200 g butter, 8 pasteurised egg yolks, 6 pasteurised egg whites, 200 g cane sugar, butter and sugar for springform pan
In the kitchen
- Split the vanilla pods and scrape out the seeds.
- Beat the egg yolks with the vanilla seeds and sugar until white and fluffy.
- Whisk the cream into the egg mixture in a thin stream until the mixture has the consistency of lightly whipped cream.
- Wash and dry the limes. Grate the rind and squeeze the limes. Mix both zest and juice into the cream, which should be poured into a freezer container or individual moulds. Freeze the ice cream for at least 6 hours before serving.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a water bath, and allow the melted chocolate to cool slightly.
- Stir the pasteurised egg yolks into the chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites together with the cane sugar until white and fluffy, then fold into the chocolate.
- Grease a springform pan with butter and sprinkle a little sugar over the base and sides until lightly covered all over.
- Pour half the chocolate mixture into the springform pan.
On the grill
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat, approx. 240-250°C.
- Put the springform pan in the middle of the grill on a cold baking stone and bake the cake for approx. 25-30 minutes.
- When the cake has cooled, pour the other half of the chocolate mixture over it to cover the top.
- Put the cake in the fridge in the springform pan for at least a couple of hours before serving.
Recommended equipment: Baking stone