In the kitchen
- Make the rosehip jam first. Cut the rosehips in half, remove the seeds etc. and wash the rosehip shells well.
- Melt the sugar in a pan until it turns to pale caramel. Then add the butter and allow to sizzle. Split the vanilla pod and place in the butter together with the cardamom pods. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rosehips and apple juice. Simmer the jam until it thickens – this takes about 10 minutes. Season and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, make the pancake batter.
- Wash the orange, and finely grate the zest. Then split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Whisk the eggs, sugar, orange zest and vanilla seeds together thoroughly. Sieve in the flour, whisking the whole time. Melt the butter and add to the batter, when it sizzles.
- Add the milk and whisk thoroughly to reduce any lumps of flour. Allow the batter to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill ready for direct cooking.
- Place the griddle on the grill, close the lid and allow to heat up. When you make the first pancake, use a touch of fat on the griddle, after which there will be enough fat in the batter and you shouldn’t need to add anymore.
- Pour a little batter onto the griddle – the pancake should be thin, so spread it out. Allow the pancake to form a crust before turning it over to finish cooking.
- Roll the pancakes up with whipped cream and rosehip jam to serve.
Recommended equipment: Weber flat griddle