1.8 kg leg of goat (or lamb if you prefer), 2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses, 1 tbsp. date syrup, juice from 1 lemon, 60 ml sunflower oil, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 5 cloves of garlic – finely grated, 1 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. ground coriander, 1 tsp. ground black pepper, 1 tsp. paprika, ½ tsp. ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. ground cardamom and 1 tbsp. salt.
In the kitchen
- Season the leg of goat with salt and pepper approx. 30 min prior to grilling
- Mix the remaining ingredients together, until a thick marinade, to brush on the meat during grilling.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking. Grill at low to medium heat at approx. 150-160°C.
- First, grill the meat for 30 min. at indirect heat without the marinade, but add a small handful of wood chips onto the charcoals on both sides (if you are grilling on gas use a smoker box).
- Next, brush the meat with the marinade every 20 minutes for 1.5-2 hours.
- Add more wood chips as you go along.
- When done, take the meat off and let it rest for 15-20 min. prior to carving to keep it moist and juicy.
- Keep the temperature low to keep the meat juicy and tender. You can also keep the temperature lower than 150°C, just grill for longer.
- Recommended Equipment: Weber smoking wood chips – apple or other
8-10 shallots, peeled and cut in halves
100 g dried apricots (or fresh)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. date syrup
2 tbsp. fresh coriander, chopped
Salt and pepper
- Grill shallots and apricots on direct heat until tender, while the meat is resting
- Next, mix with the remaining ingredients