1 kg beef strip loin, 3-4 cloves of garlic, ½ ripe papaya, mashed, 1 onion, 3-4 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. sumac, 1 tsp. ground coriander, pinch of allspice and salt and pepper
In the kitchen
- Make a dry rub by mixing sumac, allspice and coriander.
- Trim the beef for fat and tendons, and cut into equal sized cubes, app. 2 cm, and marinate the cubes in the dry rub for min. 2 hours (If marinating overnight, leave out the salt).
- Cut onion into wedges.
- Thread 3-4 beef cubes and onion wedges onto the skewers alternately, beginning and ending with beef.
- Mix the olive oil, mashed papaya and finely crushed garlic into a paste, and brush on the beef cubes before grilling.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking at medium to high heat.
- Briefly grill the skewers directly on the cooking grate on two sides, before placing them higher up on the elevation set and brushing on the papaya paste.
- Brush multiple times to build up the flavours, while rotating the skewers.
- Grill until medium done to keep the beef juicy, approx. 10-15 minutes – all depending on the size of beef cubes and the grill’s temperature.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Suggestion: Serve with Grilled Halloumi and Tomato Salad
- Recommended equipment: Weber Elevation skewer set (8 skewers)
- Optional (for serving suggestion): Vegetable basket for Weber Elevation set