20 g fresh mint, leaves picked, plus extra, to serve , 250 ml lime juice, zest of 1 lime, 125 ml cachaça (can be left out), 2 long red chillies, finely chopped, 1 heaped tbsp. soft brown sugar, 60 ml olive oil, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 kg chicken breast, trimmed skinned, cut into 3 cm pieces.
If you do not have a kebab set, 8 x 2O skewers will do. If you’re using the bamboo (or wood) skewers, soaking them in water for one hour prior to cooking will help keep them intact.
In the kitchen
- Prepare this the day before and allow to marinate overnight.
- Finely chop half the mint and place in a mixing bowl. Add lime juice, zest, cachaça, chillies, sugar, oil, cayenne, salt and pepper then stir.
- Pour ⅓ of the marinade into a small sauce pan and reduce by half, until it has turned into syrup. This will be used to baste the chicken kebabs once they are cooked. Add the chicken into the mixing bowl and stir allowing all the flavors to combine. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
On the grill
- Preheat a grill to a medium direct heat.
- Drain chicken and thread onto skewers, alternating with remaining mint leaves.
- Cook the kebabs for 8 minutes, turning only once after around 4 minutes. Once cooked through (75C), baste with the reduced cachaça syrup.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a fresh herb salad