1 level tsp. of ground cloves, 1 level tsp. of ground cumin, 2 heaped tsp. of sweet smoked paprika, 2 heaped tsp. of garam masala, 2 lemons, 6 cloves of garlic, 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, 6 heaped tbsp. of natural yoghurt, 3 fresh green or yellow chilies, 800 g skinless boneless chicken breast and salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 1-2 fresh chilies, 1 level tbsp. of ground coriander, 2 level tsp. of turmeric, 6 tbsp. of roughly chopped almonds, olive oil, 400 g tin of plum tomatoes, 400 g tin of full fat coconut milk, ½ cup of water, freshly chopped coriander and salt and pepper to taste
In the kitchen
- Cut the chicken breasts into even 5cm chunks and leave in a bowl large enough to hold the marinade.
- Lightly toast the dry spices on direct heat in a small aluminum drip pan on the grill (or on a pan in the kitchen), but be careful not to burn them, as they will then taste bitter and burnt.
- Finely chop or grate the chili, garlic and ginger and mix with yoghurt, lemon juice and the toasted dry spices.
- Mix well with the chicken, and place in the fridge for approx. 1 hour to marinate.
- Once the chicken has marinated, place the chicken chunks on skewers ready to go on the grill
- Chop onions, almonds, chili, garlic ready for the grill.
On the grill
- Heat up the grill with the GBS griddle already on. Medium, direct heat.
- Add a bit of olive oil in the GBS griddle and allow for heating up as well.
- Now add in chopped onions and sauté until they are translucent, but not colored. Then add in chopped garlic, chili and almonds, and let it all sauté for approx. 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to burn it, as it will then become bitter.
- Add in the dry spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes, before adding in the water and bringing to slight boil.
- When the sauce is mixed well, add in the tomatoes and coconut milk, and turn down the heat to low, or completely turn off the direct heat, and move to indirect heat. Close the lid.
- Let the sauce simmer until it thickens.
- While it simmers, grill the chicken skewers on the side, so they are ready when the sauce is. Medium to high, direct heat, for approx. 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remember to season the sauce with salt and pepper, and add in a bit of extra lemon juice, if you want to add some freshness.
- Mix in the grilled chicken with the sauce, and serve sprinkled with fresh coriander.
Recommended equipment: GBS cast-iron griddle