2 whole chickens – no larger than 1kg, 1 dl pomegranate molasses, ½ dl olive oil, 1 tbsp. honey, 2 tbsp. sumac, 1 tbsp. paprika, 20 cloves of garlic with skin, 1 lemon, salt and pepper, pomegranate seeds and roasted pine nuts for serving.
In the kitchen
- Half the chickens and season the meat on both sides with salt and pepper.
- On the belly side, place the whole cloves of garlic and cover with thin slices of lemon, so the cloves won’t fall out during grilling.
- Next, place it all in a large fish turner for easy grilling.
- Mix the pomegranate molasses, olive oil and spices into a marinade.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill and use the 50/50 cooking method.
- Start by grilling the chicken (always in the fish turner) on direct heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Next, use a tong to move the chicken (skin side up) over onto indirect heat at app. 180-200°C and leave here, with the lid on.
- Cooking time can vary depending on the size of the chicken and the grill’s temperature, but grill it approx. 30-35 minutes.
- Every 5-10 minutes, brush the chicken with the marinade. Don’t leave the lid off for too long.
- Once cooked, let the chicken rest for approx. 10 minutes, before carving.
- Sprinkle with roasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and sea salt, and serve with the grilled lemon slices and cloves of garlic on the side.
Recommend equipment: Weber fish turner, large