4 pieces of salmon, skin on, 150 g each, salt, pepper and oil.
Summer salad: 1 cucumber, 1 bunch of radishes, 1 bunch of chives, 100 g crème fraiche, full fat, 50 ml cream, 1 lemon, a pinch of icing sugar, salt and pepper.
Toppings (pick 1, 2 or all 3):
Herb salmon: 4 tbsp. fresh herbs (e.g. parsley, chervil, chives or dill), 4 tbsp. breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
Fennel salmon: Fennel rub: 2 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. cane sugar, 2 tbsp. ground fennel, 1 tbsp. mustard powder, 1 tsp. ground coriander, 1 tsp. chili powder and ½ tsp. pepper.
Barbecue salmon: American BBQ rub: 2 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tbsp. paprika, ½ tbsp. ground coriander, ½ tbsp. ground cumin, ½ tbsp. chili powder, ½ tbsp. garlic powder, ½ tbsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. pepper and ½ tsp. cayenne pepper.
In the kitchen
- Season the pieces of salmon with salt and pepper.
- Make your preferred toppings.
- Herbs: Wash the herbs, spin dry and chop finely. Mix with the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Put the pieces of salmon on the fish tray, skin side down. Cover the top of each piece of salmon with the herb breadcrumbs.
- Fennel: Mix all the ingredients together to form a rub. Use either a mini blender or a mortar & pestle so you get a consistent rub with no lumps. Put the pieces of salmon on the fish tray, skin side down. Cover the top of each piece of salmon with the fennel rub.
- Barbecue: Make the rub. Put the pieces of salmon on the fish tray, skin side down. Cover the top of each piece of salmon with the American BBQ rub.
- Wash the vegetables and chives for the summer salad.
- Split the cucumber and remove the seeds.
- Dice the cucumber, slice the radishes and finely chop the chives.
- Mix the crème fraiche with the cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper to make a smooth dressing.
- Add icing sugar to taste.
- Toss the vegetables and chives in the dressing and season.
On the grill
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking.
- Pour the smoke chips into the smoker box and place over direct heat. Put the lid on the grill.
- When smoke forms, place the fish tray in the center of the cooking grate.
- Smoke the fish with the lid on for 12-15 minutes. Serve with the summer salad.
Recommended equipment: Weber Fish tray (or vegetable tray) • Weber smoker box • 2 handfuls of Weber smoke wood chips – e.g. apple