1 side salmon, 1 red chili, finely chopped, 1 vanilla pod, 150 ml canola oil.
Spring Cabbage Salad: ¼ cabbage, finely shredded, 1 tsp. cumin, 3 tbsp. olive oil, Dijon mustard to taste and 2 tbsp. black sesame seeds.
In the kitchen
- Pat salmon fillet dry with a paper towel.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to a mixing bowl. Then add the canola oil, chilli and lime juice.
- Pour the mixture over the salmon and allow it to marinate for a few hours.
- Rinse the cabbage and cut out the thick stalk section. Then slice the cabbage very finely.
- Whisk the cumin, olive oil and mustard together.
- Toast the sesame seeds lightly in a pan then add to the olive oil mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
On the grill
- First, prepare the grill for low indirect heat (approximately 150-175°C). If you are using a charcoal grill add the wood chips directly to the coals. If you are using a gas grill you will need to add a smoker box full of chips. Put the lid down and wait until the grill starts smoking.
- Place a section of tin foil roughly the same size as the fillet in the middle of the grill and over the indirect heat.
- Add the fish and cook for 12 minutes.
- Serve with the Spring cabbage salad.
Recommended equipment: 2 handfuls of wood chips soaked in water and smoker box (for gas grills).