300 g dried fava (broad) beans, 1 leek, chopped, 1 onion, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, chopped, 3 tbsp. fresh coriander, 3 tbsp. fresh dill, 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, ½ tsp. ground cumin, ½ tsp. ground allspice, ½ tsp. black pepper, 2 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. bicarbonate soda, 15 g white sesame seeds, 1 tsp. ground coriander and vegetable oil for frying.
5 tbsp. Greek yoghurt, 3 tbsp. tahini, 30 g finely chopped pickles , juice from 1 lemon and season with salt and pepper
Your bread of choice, 1 tomato, sliced, a handful of rocket and salt and pepper.
In the kitchen
- Prepare the falafel mixture: place drained fava beans, leek, onion, garlic, fresh coriander, dill and parsley in a food processor and mix until all ingredients are well combined, but not completely smooth.
- Then gradually add the cumin, allspice, pepper, salt and bicarbonate soda and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Place the mix in a large bowl and sprinkle the sesame seeds and dry coriander over the mixture, but don’t mix them in.
- Now, before you head to the grill, prepare the dressing and leave in the fridge.
On the grill
- Preheat the grill with the GBS griddle already in the grill. Medium, direct heat.
- Preheat the vegetable oil in the griddle. When ready divide the falafel mixture into slightly flattened ball shapes, approx. 5 cm in diameter.
- Fry the falafel for 8-10 minutes, in batches if necessary, turning once until golden brown.
- When done, drain the falafel on paper towels before you serve.
- Now it’s time to create you sandwich. Enjoy!
Recommended equipment: GBS cast-iron griddle