2 packs of Halloumi cheese, 1 yellow pepper, 2 red peppers, 3 shallots, 2 red chilies, 3 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar, 1 large tomato, chopped in cubes, ¼ cup of water and salt and pepper
In the kitchen
- Lightly grill the red and yellow peppers, until soft with grill marks, on the cooking grate, before chopping and mixing with the other ingredients.
- Chop all vegetables finely and mix in a bowl.
On the grill
- Set the grill for at low to medium heat with a cast iron GBS griddle in the center to heat up.
- Sauté shallots and chilies first, before adding the chopped tomato, water, brown sugar and vinegar.
- Now add the grilled, finely chopped peppers.
- Cook to boil and let it simmer until the liquids have reduced and the texture is more solid. Approx. 30 minutes. Add more water as you go, if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Around the GBS griddle on the cooking grate, grill slices of halloumi on medium heat and serve hot with the compote.
Recommended equipment: GBS cast-iron griddle